Assignment: Differences in Interpersonal Communication
Mario and Aiguo are walking down the street on their way to share lunch at a local diner when they are approached by an energetic college student carrying a clipboard. She steps in their path and introduces herself:
“Hi, my name is Amy. I’m collecting signatures and contact information on our petition to stop the demolition of the historic clock tower at Old Main Hall. Would you gentlemen please sign and support our cause?”
Mario happily takes hold of the clipboard and writes down his name, address, and telephone number. When he is finished, he hands it to Aiguo, who politely hands it right back to Amy and tells her he would rather not share his contact information, but thanks her anyway.
These men are best friends and have known each other since elementary school. It is no surprise that they share similar interests and like many of the same things. However, one of the major differences between them deals with the issue of personal privacy.
Everyone behaves and communicates differently, even if in just subtle ways. Consider the example with Aiguo and Mario and think about the factors that led to a difference in each man’s response. In your text readings this week, you examine individual differences that affect interpersonal communication—differences that are based in metaphor, reference, and other contextual or cultural interpretations. Individual differences like these come from various factors.
Recognizing these factors is vital to understanding why people communicate the way they do and their underlying motivations. In this Application Assignment, you analyze individual differences in interpersonal communication.
- Reflect on your own interpersonal communication style or approach. What factors have influenced the way you communicate?
- Review Chapters 2 and 3 in Business Relationships Across Cultures.
- Consider what impact individual differences have on interpersonal communication.
With these thoughts in mind:
Write an essay of at least 300 words in which you explain individual differences in interpersonal interactions. Include responses to the following:
- Identify some factors that underscore individual differences in interpersonal communication.
- Explain how these factors influence these differences.
- Explain how your style of interpersonal communication exemplifies some of these differences.
- Provide at least one example in your explanation.
Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources and any additional sources in APA format.