civil liberties/civil rights
Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 1: Politics – Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Due Week 6 and worth 200 points
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which the student answers the following three (3) items using
headers to separate each item:
1. Discuss either two (2) civil liberties or two (2) civil rights events (past or current) that have
influenced a sense of social responsibility in the American government today. Provide
examples to support your answer. Note: In your response, consider how the events influenced
the way state, local or national political leaders or agencies responded in a socially responsible
or ethical manner toward the community.
2. Discuss two (2) media events (past or present) that have positively and or negatively influenced
the public’s opinion of a government agency. Provide examples to support your answer. Note:
Consider how a news story or media coverage of an event positively or negatively changed the
public’s opinion (or perception) regarding how responsible a government agency should be
towards meeting the needs of its customers; i.e. the American people.
3. Discuss two (2) differences between the Republican and Democratic parties that may have an
ethical impact (positively or negatively) on the American people. Provide examples to support
your answer. Note: Consider the different ideals, values, morals, and/or goals held by the
Republican and Democratic parties, and their different views on the ethically or morally right
way to govern and make the best policies for the people they serve. Determine if your example
presents any type of ethical concerns for or against the public interest of the American people.
In your research, you cannot use Wikipedia, online dictionaries, Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, or any other
Website do that does not qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all
sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your
professor for any additional instructions.
• Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s
name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in
the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to:
• Identify informed opinions on issues and questions involving the U.S. government, national
political processes, policy making, and the notion of democracy.
• Employ terminology used to study political science and American government.
• Distinguish between civil rights and civil liberties in the context of Supreme Court protection of
freedom of expression.
• Develop reasoned written and spoken presentations on issues and questions involving the U.S.
government and national political processes using information in the course.
• Explain how the federal system of government works.
• Explore different perspectives on issues and questions about the U.S. government and national
• Describe the importance of an informed, effective citizenship for the national government and
• Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of U.S. government
• Write clearly and concisely about U.S. government and politics using proper writing
Click here to view the grading