Criminal Justice Capstone
Address the following in approximately 500 words:
Shane White has decided to enter a guilty plea for possession of heroin. Go to the State of Michigan sentencing guidelines manual and determine what sentence the judge may impose. Consider the following:
There was 17.2 grams of heroin seized.
He entered a guilty plea.
He was cooperative.
He has 1 prior misdemeanor charge for possession of marijuana. He was sentenced to probation for 6 months with successful completion. This was 12 years prior to the current offense.
He has failed several stints in treatment rehabilitation facilities for drug use.
Fully justify your rationale and support all of your arguments with academic or scholarly resources.
Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
Address the following in 250?500 words:
The judge has asked the probation department to develop a presentence investigation report in addition to using the sentencing guidelines.
What is the purpose and functions of presentence reports? Explain in detail.
What is included in reports? Explain.
Do you think they are valuable to the sentencing system? Why or why not?
Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.
Estimated Personal Water Use
This homework is related with your personal water footprint. These figures are estimates. There is a tremendous amount of variation among people?s life styles and how they use water. For example, if you have a water-efficient toilet the water used per flush will be as low as 1.5-2 gallons per flush. The amount of water used for tooth brushing, shaving, hand and face washing, and dishwashing will vary significantly based on the time spent and the faucet setting. The amount of water used on yard will vary depending on the area in need of water. If you are living in a multi-unit apartment or dorm, estimate your fair share.
1. Calculate the water flowrate of your shower. Show your work.
??Determine the flow rate of your shower head. (Time to fill a known volume)
Determine the flow rate (gpm: gallons per minute) of your shower head. Include a description of the method you used and any calculations or conversions you used to determine the flow rate from your shower head.
Then determine how long it would take to recover the cost of a 1.5 gpm high Efficiency low flow shower head based on the savings from the reduced flow shower head compared to your existing shower head (find one and cite it from an online source like a plumbing supply store or home improvement store).
2. Use the data in the first table to fill in the ?Estimated gallons per use or unit of time,? in the second table, but change the figures in that column if you have more accurate data about your personal water use .Also, add water use items in to other if you think you have other uses for water.
3. After filling out the second table with your own figures, Create a PIE CHART (excel or similar programs) showing your own water use percentages. Include legend and labels for pie chart.
4. Explain your findings and self- reflect in a paragraph (Minimum 150 words1). Things to consider are: where do you use the water the most? Are you surprised about this? If so, why? Where do you use the water the least, why?
5. Knowing this now, if you were to change anything about the way you use water, what would you change about your behavior to conserve water? ( Minimum 100 words1)
6. Explain your thoughts on the relationship between the price of the water and its use? What would you suggest to be done at a personal level and city level so we are conserving more water and move towards more sustainable practices to use water? (Minimum 200 words1)
7. Answer questions 1 ? 5. Save this document including all the pages and the pie chart as a single pdf. And upload it to BB on time. Late HW will receive no credit.
1 include the word count at the end your writing for each item.
Table 1: Estimated Gallons of water use per activity
Use Conditions Estimated gallons
Shower per minute *see above
Fill bathtub per use 30-50
Toilet Flushing per use (flush) 5
Tooth brushing per minute (letting water run) 3
Washing hands and face per minute (letting water run) 3
Shaving per minute (letting water run) 3
Cooking per meal 3
Washing Machine depends on setting 20-50
Dish Washing by hand (per minute) 3
Dish Washing w/machine (depends on setting) 15-30
Water Lawn + (estimate your fair share) per minute (depends on area) +10-20
Lawn Sprinklers+ (estimate your fair share) per minute (depends on area) +5-20
Washing Car per minute 10
Wash down driveway w/hose per minute 10
Fill swimming pool (estimate your fair share) + per use +20,000-30,000
+ these are not individual uses in our cases, so estimate your fair share as a beneficiary and explain your reasoning while determining that number. For example, if you regularly go to swimming at NAU pool, they keep it full for you too. You have a fair share of that water use. Find out roughly how much water is used to fill out that pool, find out how many people use that pool, and divide it up for your fair share. Be honest about your water uses. See below for more explanation.
Table 2: Personal Water Use Inventory
For shared activities like washing clothes, calculate your share of the water. For example, if there are 4 people in your house/dorm room and the dish washing machine is estimated to use 30 gallons per load, your share is 30/4 = 7.5 gallons. Refer to the website for the city of Flagstaff for the cost of water per gallon.
Number of Estimated Estimated Estimated
Cost per Estimated Estimated
uses or time gallons per % use
Use gallons used gallons used
gallon cost per cost per
used per use or unit
day of time per day per week week year