Describe the different manifestations of progressivism
participate in this Discussion Area by selecting one of the topics listed below and writing a response of approximately 350 words. Compose your thoughts with careful research, analysis, and personal insight. Your commentary will become mind-opening as you demonstrate critical thinking about your topic. Use visual and precise language, seeking to make connections between ideas and artistic form. Clarity is necessary, as is original thought. Remember to seek accuracy, write visually, and get to the point.
Comic Books: How do comic books, such as Superman and Captain America, mold young Americans’ idea of America’s role and responsibility in the world? What visual elements are used in comic books to portray a pro-American vision and to vilify America’s enemies?
By Wednesday, April 15, 2015, choose and respond substantively to one of the discussion questions posted below. Submit your response to this Discussion Area. Your response should include a clear argument supported by cited evidence as well as your own explanation of what that evidence means and why it is relevant to your post.
TWO QUESTION OPTION (CHOOSE ONE):
1: How did the historical era’s new immigration reshape America’s cities and workplaces? What connections can you draw between the new immigrant experience and progressive era politics?
2: Discuss the tensions within progressivism, between the ideals of social justice and the urge for social control. What concrete achievements are associated with each wing of the movement? What were the driving forces behind them?
Deadline and Deliverable
By Sunday, April 19, 2015, please select any 1 of the following topics and respond in an organized, 600-word essay that supports your statements by specific reference to relevant sections of the document. Submit your paper as an attachment in MS Word format to the W2 Assignment 2 Dropbox.
• Length: At least 600 words.
• MLA Format (See a sample MLA-formatted essay)
• Citations: Your essay must include a works cited page in MLA format with complete citations for each source you used. These sources must also be cited in the body of your paper in parenthetical references.
• Essay Structure: Your essay should have an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement as the last sentence in the paragraph, several well-organized supporting paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph that sums up the main points of your paper and demonstrates to your reader that the thesis has been proven.
• Quotations: Be sure that any and all text you have copied directly from a source is in quotation marks and is followed by a parenthetical reference. When you have paraphrased from a source, you must also use a parenthetical reference. Please limit your quoted material to 15% of the total word count of the paper. This means that the other 85% of your paper needs to be paraphrased from your sources or your own critical analysis.
• Describe the different manifestations of progressivism at the local, state, and national levels. To what extent did progressives redefine the role of the state of American politics?
• Analyze the progressive era from the perspective of African Americans. What political and social developments were most crucial and what legacies did they leave?
• What central issues drew the United States deeper into international politics in the early years of the century? How did American presidents justify a more expansive role? What diplomatic and military policies did they exploit for these ends?
• Analyze the impact of the war on American workers. How did the conflict affect the lives of African Americans and women?
• Select an individual from this time period, from any walk of life. Research and write an essay on this person, discussing his or her life experience and contribution to American history.