Development of united states as an empire and world power
Answer each of the following prompts with a response of at least 200 to 300 words:
• Trace the path of American imperialism during the period from about 1870 to 1914 through political, military, and economic events.Why was the United States interested in expansion in these areas? Why was America building a global empire?
• What were the benefits of America’s imperialistic actions for the people in these countries or areas? What were the disadvantages? How would you describe their experiences in terms of being conquered, assimilated, or marginalized?
• What were the moral implications of American imperialism? How did Imperialists justify their actions? How did the Anti-Imperialists justify their position? Consider the role of race, economics, science, and religion.
• What significance did the Spanish-American War have in the development of the United States as an empire and world power?
• Do you think the United States is currently an imperialist country? Why or why not?