- According to d’Holbach, all the mental and moral attributes that people think are evidence for an immaterial soul are in fact _____.
2. According to d’Holbach, people always act according to _____.
3. According to James, indeterminism allows that the world has _____.
4. The doctrine that every event is determined or necessitated by preceding events and the laws of nature is known as _____.
5. The challenge of reconciling determinism with our intuitions or ideas about personal freedom is known as _____.
6. The movies Gattaca and A Clockwork Orange dramatize the fear of _____.
7. If our actions are not free in any important sense, it is difficult to see how we could be _____.
8. Many who reject the notion of free will think that punishing people for crimes makes no sense. They think that instead of punishing criminals, we should _____.
9. The view that no one has free will is called _____.
10. The view that what will be will be, and no human actions can change it, is known as _____.
11. The branch of science that provides a counterexample to the notion that every event has a cause is known as _____.
12. The author of The Will to Believe and The Varieties of Religious Experience is _____.
13. True or False? D’Holbach says that man’s life is a course that nature compels him to take without deviation.
14. True or False? D’Holbach’s view is that science does not preclude the notion of free will.
15. True or False? D’Holbach asserts that when we deliberate about a choice, our decision is free and undetermined.
16. True or False? James says that determinism professes that those parts of the universe already laid down absolutely decree what the other parts shall be.
17. True or False? William James is a fatalist.
18. Briefly explain, in your own words, the objections to James’s indeterminism that are discussed in your text.
Write your essay.