Explain and analyze w e b du boiss political ideas
Zinn Ch 14 – http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinnwarhea14.html
1. In what ways did the United States government sway public opinion to support the war effort? From your own perspective, was it appropriate for the government to employ such methods to build a consensus?
2. Upon passage of the Espionage and Sedition Acts, many people felt that their civil liberties were under attack as the government sought to stifle dissent. Do you think these measures were an appropriate domestic policy during a time of war? Explain. Do you think they were constitutional? Why or why not?
3. When Eugene Debs was in prison serving his term for violating the Espionage Act of 1917, he ran for president during the 1918 presidential election. While he was in prison, he won almost one million votes. Ho was that possible? What does this tell you about American society in 1918?
4. Explain how Americans used the language of freedom when discussing foreign policy. Look specifically at the foreign policies of Roosevelt, Taft, and Wilson in your answer. Did the meaning of freedom change with each administration or stay constant?
5. Compare Roosevelt’s and Wilson’s attitudes toward blacks. How significant were the actions of the federal government in advancing freedoms for blacks during the early twentieth century?
6. Explain and analyze W. E. B. Du Bois’s political ideas. How did he attempt to expand civil rights for African-Americans?
7. Progressives continued to make strides during the war. Discuss the various Progressive accomplishments between 1916 and 1920. Comment on why the movement declined by 1920.