fine arts appreciation
- Please read and follow all directions for this assignment.
- The Writing Assignment is worth a total of 20 points.
- Due on or before Friday, July 7, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. (CST)
- No late assignments will be accepted.
- ALL WRITTEN WORK must be IN YOUR OWN WORDS! Please review CTC’s plagiarism policy or ask me if you have questions about this!
TO SUBMIT YOUR ASSIGNMENT:
- Scroll to the bottom of the Papers and Projects page.
- Select Writing Assignment.
- Follow the instructions for submitting your writing assignment.
- No assignments will be accepted by email.
- Complete your assignment using a word-processing software such as Microsoft Word and Open Office (download free software at http://www.openoffice.org).
- Save your document as .rtf to ensure that it can be opened at any computer.
- You may also attach a .docx file or paste directly into the link.
- Submit your assignment through the proper link located BELOW.
WRITING ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
This assignment has two parts. Please submit BOTH parts at the same time.
PART 1: QUESTION & ANSWER (10 points)
Choose one visual artist that was BORN after January 1, 1900 from your book and answer the six questions below.
- INELIGIBLE artists include: Filmmakers (including animators), actors, and graphic designers. Artists’ works should be in a visual media such as painting, sculpture, mixed media, installation, drawing, etc.
- Ineligible websites: Wikipedia.org, artsy.net, artcyclopedia.com (or any other “general” art site) or any site that is a “sale site.” If you’re not sure about a website, ASK!
- Artists that work as a team count as a single artist.
- For each artist: Number, copy, and answer each of the six questions and then answer each question individually (re-write the question and then answer the question).
- Points will be deducted for missing or incomplete responses.
- Follow the Question and Answer format.
- If you have any questions about your selected artist, please email me.
- NO CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN FOR INELIGIBLE ARTISTS OR ARTISTS BORN PRIOR TO 1900.
- Artist’s name, year of birth, country of birth and the page on which the artist is found in your textbook. (1 point)
- Complete website where you found information about the artist. This website must be an “informational” site that is specific to your artist. (1 point)
- What is his/her primary media? (1 point)
- List TWO locations where the artist’s work is currently displayed or was recently displayed. Be specific. (2 points)
- Write a short paragraph about why this artist interests you. For full credit, your response must be at least 80 words. (2 points)
- Locate on the Internet one piece of the artist’s work that is not found in A World of Art. Then – IN YOUR OWN WORDS – describe its medium, form, and content (meaning). Include the full website where you found the work. For full credit, your response must be at least 80 words. (3 points)
- Artist’s name, year of birth, country of birth, textbook page where the artist is mentioned:
John Doe, Born 1902, Russia, Page 101
- Complete website where you found information about the artist:
- What is his/her primary media?
Oil paint on wood panel.
- List TWO locations where the artist work is currently displayed or was recently displayed:
Museum of Modern Art, NYC and Leo Castelli Gallery, NYC.
PART 2: SHORT ESSAYS (10 points; 5 points per topic)
Points will be deducted for incorrect grammar and spelling.
- Select TWO questions/topics from the list below.
- Write your response in essay format.
- For full credit, your response to EACH question/topic must be at least 250 words.
- Please re-write the question/topic to which you are responding.
- Remember, ALL WRITTEN WORK must be IN YOUR OWN WORDS, and use proper citation format if you choose to use outside sources (other than your textbook).
- Sayre names seven major themes in art. Define four and cite examples of each from your book which are not found in Chapter 21.
- Discuss the four “roles of the artist.” Cite an example of each from your book not found in Chapter 1.
- Explain how the group of artists known as the Impressionists got their name and the major factors that tied them together as a group.
- Compare and contrast Venus of Urbino by Titian (1538) and Olympia by Manet (1863).
- Describe the origins of the mosque and analyze its chief features.
- Explain the rise of Dada and the emergence of Surrealism.