The views expressed in the two article excerpts by the Chinese National Marine Data and Information Service (Peoples Republic of China) and by Tadashi Ikeda invoke legal arguments in support of either Chinese (Peoples Republic of China) or Japanese sovereignty over the Diaoyu/Senkaku Islands. Having regard to the legal issues only, and with reference to relevant course materials, which of the arguments do you consider most persuasive and why?
Assessment criteria: This essay will be assessed according to the following criteria:
1. ability to understand and synthesise legal material;
2. critical evaluation of legal material and concepts;
3. demonstrated understanding of key concepts, principles and relevant rules of public international law, including the sources of public international law;
4. ability to articulate and structure a logical legal argument; and
5. clarity in legal writing style.
it will be essential for you to identify what you say are the relevant legal criteria to answer the question, and to provide legal justification for those being the appropriate criteria.