Library Research Assignment (Group Project)
Students are to complete a GROUP research assignment after a Face to Face OR Virtual Online Visit by the Librarian and completing a QUIZ online:
Please review all the topics below, and choose one with your group members.
1. How do computer viruses spread and in what ways do they affect computers?
2. How has the Music/TV industry been affected by the internet and digital downloading?
? How have sites such as Youtube , Netflix, Hulu, affected the TV/Music industry
? It has surfaced and inspired mainly by people’s tendency to jot down babble and post it. They consist of sites like Twitter and Chinese equivalent Weibo (??), also Facebook Status Updates, which are very popular. In what way has Microblogging revolutionized the way information is consumed?
4. From where does Spam email come and can we stop it?
5. Smart Phones and Mobile Apps? How have they changed us socially?
6. Cloud Computing ? What is it and related Security Issues.
7. Cyber Crime ? Identity Theft
? What are the latest ways to steal identity and money? Social Security numbers are the most valuable pieces of consumer information for identity thieves! How can we prepare and protect ourselves?
8. Internet Censorship
? How is internet censorship used in China/Middle East/Korea ? Should parents censor what their children are looking at? Should companies see what employees are doing in their time?
9. Computer waste and the environment: whose problem is it?
? You’d never guess it, but your PC puts about 1,000 pounds of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere every year! What can you do to help?
10. Privacy of Medical Records
? What medical information should be confidential? Who, if anybody, should have access to medical records? Is your data safe?
11. Internet Dating
? Internet dating is proving a much more successful way to find long-term romance and friendship for thousands of people than was previously thought, new research shows! Is it safe and for everyone?
12. Augmented Technology for the Handicapped
? Using technology to improve the quality of life of the disabled. Some products are natural-voice talkers for the speech impaired, single-switch Internet surfing for quadriplegics, robotic wheelchairs, sensory systems to teach cause-and-effect to severely delayed children, tablet PCs that translate the uncharacteristic handwriting of people with spastic cerebral palsy, and a means to extend special-education class work to home-bound and hospital-bound children, among many other ideas
13. Social Media (Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, LinkenIn, Pinterest, Snapchat, Tumblr, Instagram, Flickr)
? Examine and investigate their impacts and effects on Communities, Communications, Relationships, Politics, Self-esteem etc.
14. Cyber Bullying
? How has the Internet changed bullying? Is it a Crime? How can it be stopped? What are Universities doing about it? Who is at risk?
15. Self Driving (Autonomous) Cars
? Google, Tesla, Uber and several car manufacturers are all developing technologies that will revolutionize motoring. If the age of self-driving cars is upon us, what’s keeping them off the roads? What are the Federal Regulations?
16. (If you have a topic that is not on the list, please see your instruction for approval.)
Overview of Research Assignment
Students will develop a more in-depth understanding of various topics. This will be achieved through the use of research strategies and a systematic exploration of appropriate information sources introduced in the Library Resources lecture. Students will document their research by creating an annotated bibliography using the topic selected.
1. The annotated bibliography will contain SIX (6) sources using the MLA Style for the reference citations.
2. Of the 6 sources in the annotated bibliography, at least 2 (3) should be from a book, e-book, personal interview, or media resource (i.e. TV broadcast, or film); 2 (3) should be from a periodical (newspaper, magazine or journal) and 2 (3) should be from freely accessible websites.
3. Each source listed will also include a 3-5 sentence annotation which will describe the relevance between the information in the source and the topic of the research.
4. The annotated bibliography should be typed in MLA style, Double spaced with one inch margins (top, bottom, left, and right). Include your names and page number in the header (top ? aligned right), include your names, Prof. Name, Class name, date on the left side.
5. A cover sheet is not necessary in MLA format!
6. The completed annotated bibliography is due to your instructor on the date announced in class.
Assignment Points and Grading
Form a group of Two/Three (6 Sources for Groups of Two and Nine sources for Groups of Three)
Select your topic
EACH GROUP TO HAND IN ONLY ONE REPORT