Operations and Process Management
In-Course Assessment Brief
|Module:||Operations & Process Management|
|Assessment Title:||Assignment divided into 2 parts|
|Assessment Details and Deadlines:||
Summative Assessment will consist of 2 parts:
Part 1 – Written Assessment (Individual) 70%
1.1 – Answer Questions (a) to (d) 35% with 2,000 words
1.2 – Answer Questions (e) to (g) 35% with 2,000 words
Therefore total word count is 4,000 words
Part 2 – Oral Presentation (30%) in Week 10
Oral Presentation 30%
1. Overview of current scenario and analysis of the key issues in the case study,
2. Identification of quality performance, supply chain management and customer requirements
3. Harmonization of key processes and operations
Written Assessment is worth 70%,
Plan and execute an investigation into a case example organization where quality and the effectiveness of supply chain management are major issues. The student will perform an audit of the current situation in terms of current quality strategy, customer requirements and the effectiveness of the present supply chain.
Learning Outcomes to be Assessed:
- 1. Evaluate the use of lean operating principles
- 2. Analyse information in the pursuance of lean operating conditions and the application of quality management techniques
- 3. Demonstrate and apply operations management techniques in a project-led organisational context
- 4. Apply appropriate skills and techniques to compliment effective project management within a business environment
The following assessment brief refers to Pyrex. Case Study which is attached. The assessment expects each student to critically evaluate the integrated project and process management issues which will need to be introduced into this company for it to remain competitive.
The report is to be written as a report to management to meet the inventory and service goals of the management of Pyrex.
Based in America, consists a manufacturing site, warehouse and sales branches. A producer of bake-ware, cook-ware, dinner-ware, kitchen and household tools, the company has grown and consider the international markets (suppliers and customers). Whilst recognizing the need to become leaner, agile and market-oriented, so far it has been constrained by factors such as site and space limitations, product design and quality, out-of-date manufacturing and production methods, poor distribution and marketing. The Company suffers from over-stocking, poor supplier relationships and varying lead times leading to an inability to forecast demand and react to market place changes in an effective and consistent manner.
Your Report should cover the following:
A review of PYREX’s Marketplace Positioning and Supply Chain Integration.
Compile a business case, resource allocations and timing feasibility study for improving the visibility of the company evaluating the characteristics of global supply chains and identifying what will be needed by Pyrex, that will:
- a) Develop a more aggressive marketplace positioning strategy,
- b) Introduce a rationalized product range to exploit the higher turnover available from more profitable products
- c) Develop a marketing promotion campaign to include an on-line intranet and extranet capability in order to serve more international market
- d) Raise the Key Performance levels within the company’s and extended environment,
- e) Identify the required internal lean and agile manufacturing operational changes to bring about a customized ERP software system that can provide the company with the most efficiency gains and improvements to revenue and profitability.
- f) Examine what and how the company can achieve improved manufacturing output and reduce waste so as to reduce inventory and manufacturing cost,
- g) Improve product quality or outsource part of the production to various suppliers (third party manufacturers)