problems that plagued the United States under the Articles of Confederation
- Name at least four of the problems that plagued the United States under the Articles of Confederation?
- What was Shays’s Rebellion and why was it important?
- Why did nationalists meet in Philadelphia in the spring of 1787?
- Who attended and who did not attend? (Name a couple of names and social ranks)
- How did the Philadelphia convention resolve the three most controversial and divisive issues of a) the representation of large and small states, b) state power, and c) slavery? Explain for each.
- What were the major arguments for and against ratification of the Constitution and why did people believe that way? Explain two examples for both sides.
Now that you have read and watched a movie clip about the problems of the Articles of Confederation and the drafting of the Constitution, please answer the following analytical question.
- What is your opinion of the original American Constitution? Did the Constitution of 1787 reflect true republicanism? Did it establish a better or worse government than had existed under the Articles of Confederation? Would you have supported or opposed its ratification? Explain your opinion with specific examples.