Standard Format for Academic Papers
Students are expected to adhere to the following when writing an academic paper. All information listed adheres to APA 6th edition, second printing.
- 12-point serif font (Times New Roman or Courier).
- 1-inch margins at the top, bottom, left, and right of every page.
- Running head contains brief title of paper. Follow APA format.
- Page numbers are in the header in the top right corner.
- Paragraphs are to be indented five to seven spaces.
- Complete sentences, correct grammar, correct spelling, and accurate punctuation is expected.
- Absence of typographical errors.
- Citations within the body of the text follow APA format. Starting in fall 2010 students must use the 6th edition of APA (do not use the first printing).
- Headings are included, as appropriate, and follow APA format.
- Images, graphs, charts, or other types of visuals are considered to be figures in APA format and must adhere to proper APA 6th edition formatting.
The following are not included in your page count.
- Title page which contains the assignment name, byline, professor’s name, and date.
- Reference list starts on a new page and follows proper APA format.
- Appendix (if appropriate) which starts on a new page.