STARBUCKS COFFEE SHOPS
Suggested: Four competitors (publicly traded):
1. Dunkin’ Brands ? Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins ? Link – http://investor.dunkinbrands.com/
2. McDonalds ? MacCafe ? Links – https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en-us/full-menu/drinks.html
3. Panera Bread ? Links – https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu-categories/drinks.html
4. Krispy Kreme – http://investor.krispykreme.com/financial-information/sec-filings/default.aspx
5. Timhortons: – http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/menu/coffee.php,
ALL INFORMATION IN THIS CASE ANALYSIS MUST BE PRESENTED IN ASCENDING ORDER OF DATES FROM LEFT TO RIGHT.
PRESENTERS MUST USE THE SAME ORDER AND COLOR TO REPRESENT THE SAME COMPANY IN ALL GRAPHS, CHARTS, AND DIAGRAMS THROUGHOUT YOUR PRESENTATION.
Historical Review of the corporate Actual Performance (compare to at least with three competitors for the last five years for each of the following))
? Stock Performance (NOT just prices) (at least for the last 5 years) (also compare to S&P 500)
? Market Share (at least for the last 5 years) (use 5 pie-charts and only one column chart)
? Net Sales (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Net Income (at least for the last 5 years) (use just one column chart)
? Number of the Stores for retail companies (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Dollar-Profit-per-store for retail companies (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Number of the Units produced for manufacturing companies (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Dollar-Profit-per-unit of produced for manufacturing companies (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Total square feet of retail floor area (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Dollar-Profit-per-square-foot for retail companies (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column chart)
? Number of employees (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and one column chart)
? Dollar-Profit-per-employee (at least for the last 5 years) (use a table and a column bar chart)
? Profitability Ratios (at least for last 5 years) (use a table for each ratio & a column chart for each ratio)
? Detailed Common sized income statements (at least for 5 years) (use 5 tables one for each year)
Base on the above analysis, is the company?s current performance satisfactory? Is the company achieving its performance objectives? (Is there any performance gap)?
Examination of the Corporate Top Decision Makers (strengths and weaknesses)
The board of directors of the company:
1. The ratio of the internal vs. external directors;
2. The compensation of the Directors:
3. Please list the standing committees of the Board of Directors;
4. The Membership to Each Standing Committee; Use a table and specify:
a. Chairperson of each committee;
b. External and internal members of each committee.
5. Board committees & their membership (external vs. internal)
1) Executive Committee (members and the chairperson)
2) Audit Committee (members and the chairperson)
3) Compensation Committee (members and the chairperson)
4) Nomination Committee (members and the chairperson)
5) Others (members and the chairperson)
6. The degree of involvement of external directors as is indicated by factors such as (use a tables to summarize the information)
1) Board?s prior decisions
2) Board members? compensation (1) amounts & (2) forms
3) Board members? relevant experiences
4) Board members’ relevant educations
5) Board members? total stock ownership in the company (percentage)
6) The personal profile of the board members (1. Sex, 2. Age, 3. Ethnicity, 4. Religion, 5. National Origin, or Membership to any Group) (use one or more tables to show averages and lowest and highest)
1. A historical review of management style (s) in the company
2. Top management team?s compensations (Amounts and forms) (use a table to compare with competition)
3. The membership of the top management team in the board and the board?s committees
4. The profile of the top management team (1. Age, 2. Sex, 3. Ethnicity, 4. Religion, 5. National Origin). (use a table or more to show 1. averages and 2. lowest and 3. highest)
5. The relationship among the members of the top management team (family and other close relationships)
Management Productivity ratios (for the last 5 years) (compared to the competition & industry) (use a table and a Column chart for each ratio)
1. Dollar-Sales-per-square -foot for retail companies
2. Dollar-Sales-per-employee for retail stores and manufacturing
3. Production-per- unit for manufacturing
4. Dollar-Sales-per-store for retail companies
5. Please be creative and use productivity units such as per ship, per airplane, per bed/trip, per seat/mile, per transaction, per purchase, per visitor, per ticket, and so forth.
Management Efficiency Ratios/ Activity rations (for the last 5 years) (compared to the competition & industry) (use a table and a column chart for each ratio)
1. Receivables Turnover
2. Average Collection Period
3. Inventory Turnover
4. Days of inventory
5. Fixed Asset Turnover
6. Total Asset Turnover
Based on the above analysis is the board of directors independent of top management?
Based on the above analysis is the management effective?
Prepare and recommend new plan (s) to deal with the above environmental opportunities and threats based on the companies strengths and weaknesses. The new plans may involve revisions in any of the following factors if based on the above analysis it became clear that revision (s) would improve the long-term performance of the company?s:
? Strategies (1. Corporate, 2. Competitive, & 3. Functional)
Develop Programs, Budgets, and procedures to implement each single plan
Develop Control Procedure, Standards & Feedback, to detect deviation from plans.
6th PART – METHOD OF PRESENTATION
? All presentations must be computer presentations.
? All presentations must use power-point presentation software.
7TH PART – REQUIRED HANDOUTS
1. Presenters must provide a complete color printed copy of their slides to the professor prior to their presentation (one slide per page)
2. Presenters must provide each of their classmates with a copy of the following material to each of the other students in the class prior to presentation:
1) A fifty multiple-choice questions test. The questions should be in the same order as the presentation. All tests shall be collected by the presenting team at the conclusion of their presentation, graded then returned to the instructor at Last class meeting with a worksheet containing names and grades.
2) A detail outline of the presentation including the names of the presenters and the detail topics of presentation;
3) Three to five pages of important facts about the case (in bullet format);
3. Presenters are encouraged to use as many forms of visual aids such as posters, videos, and computer animations.