Tourism Planning and Development
Instructions to candidates:
This is a take home examination paper. You have a full week to research and submit your completed exam paper to me
You are permitted to research your answers, but you must cite all references you use.
SECTION A: SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS
Answer all THREE questions. Total marks for Section A = 30 marks. [One page per answer]
1. Describe and discuss the three planning scales identified by Gunn and Var (2002). Provide examples from your home town.
- What are the five components of supply as identified by Gunn and Var (2002)? Describe each component in detail, and attempt a preliminary analysis of your home town.
- 2. Write a justification of the need for tourism planning in regional tourism.
SECTION B: ESSAY QUESTIONS
Answer ONE question. Total marks for Section B = 20 marks. [Two pages per answer]
- In the face of ever increasing globalization, local communities have the opportunity to differentiate themselves on the basis of distinct place attributes that promise a unique personality amenable for tourism.
- Discuss and critique the argument that tourism in Victoria is a case of either abundance in tourism resources or famine. What would you recommend to a shire that you assess as falling in the latter category. Must tourism be ever present in every sub-region of the state?
- Critique the argument that tourism is the future for arresting small town decline.