U.S. Encroachment into Mexico
Week 6: February 28 & March 1 – U.S. Encroachment into Mexico
Gonzalez, Chapter 5 “Mexicans: Pioneers of a Different Type” (96-107)
The author, Juan Gonzalez, in this chapter describes the history of Mexican Americans in the U.S. Southwest from the 1820s to the 1960s. He did this primarily through the life experiences of the Canales family in Texas. Be familiar with this history (e.g., loss of land, lynchings), and be able to write at least 3 paragraphs on what Gonzalez wrote about Mexican Americans.
Martinez, “Mexican Independence and U.S. Invasion” (22-50)
In this section of the book, Martinez presents an array of information Mexico/U.S. relations during the mid to late 1800s. Take general notes on this historical period. Again as with Gonzalez’ chapter, have enough information to write at least 3 paragraphs.
1. According to Barrera, what were the three key developments influencing the social, political and economic status of Chicanos in the Southwest during the Nineteenth Century?
2. Barrera presents six explanations for U.S. expansion into the Southwest and for the Mexican American War. How many different explanations did you find in this chapter?
a. What reasons do each of these 6 explanations offer for U.S. expansion?
b. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each of these explanations?
3. When did Mexico win its independence from Spain?
4. Compare the various means by which land was transferred in California to how it was transferred in New Mexico and Texas. In other words, in what different ways were Chicanos displaced from the land?
Week 7 – March 7 & 9- 20th Century: Mexican Revolution and Chicana/Mexicana Labor Activism inthe U.S.
Martinez, 500 Years of Chicano History,
a) La Revolution Mexicana, 51-72
Conduct research on 3 individuals or events or places mentioned in this section of the book. Take notes on each and cite your sources. Only on can be from Wikipedia.
b) Labor Activism, 92-112
For this section of the book. do your research on 2 individuals or historically significant incidents. As with the previous section, take notes and cite your source.
Del Castillo, Between Borders: Essays on Mexicana/Chicana History:
a) Calderon & Zamora, “Manuela Solis Sager and Emma B. Tenayuca: A Tribute”
b) Ruiz, “A Promise Fulfilled: Mexican Cannery Workers in Southern California”
1. Both of these articles focus on the labor activism of Mexican/Chicana women during the 1930s and 1940s. The first article, by Calderon and Zamora, concentrates largely on the stories of two labor activists. Explain who these women were and their accomplishments.
2. In the chapter written by Ruiz in what industry did the women organize? How did the women organize or mobilize and what did they do to create better working conditions? Lastly, what led to the success of the union and its eventual demise? Know some of the names of the women who helped organize the cannery workers.
What did you learn about this “forgotten history” of the 1930s massive deportation?
1. What were the five components of a colonial labor system? Be able to define each of these aspects.
2. What were the factors “pushing” Mexican from Mexico, and factors “pulling” Mexicans to migrate to the U.S.
3. What were the immigration policies implemented during this period?
Week 8: March 15 &17 – Chicana/o Movement
Martínez, 500 Years, “El Movimiento,” pp. 121-223
In this section of the book, Martínez presents the many aspects and dimension of this time period: from the student in the different states, to community mobilization efforts, labor organizing and immigrant rights activism. Identify 3 acts of mobilization, activists or organizations you found particularly interesting, disturbing and/or inspirational. Do research on each of these 3 and cite your courses with no more that I Wikipedia reference. Be ready to discuss in class by Tuesday.
Acuña, Occupied America, Chap.13 “Goodbye America: The Chicano in the 1960s” pp. 295-
315 & 318-325
1. A number of political and economic changes took place during the exciting Movement Era of the 1960s and 1970s. Among these occurrences were the Chicano student activities, events and organizations. Mention and elaborate on four of these.
2. Extensive labor and community organizing was also taking place during this historic period. Discuss and elaborate on two of these union and/or community organizing efforts. Identify the region, key issues and the people involved.
3. In what manner did this baby boom generation reaffirm its ties to its Mexican heritage?
2:00pm class – Rev Lawson’s workshop on Non Violence Social Change
1) Identify 3 things you learned from Revered Lawson’s workshop
2) Identify the connection between this worksho